How to Hire a DWI Lawyer
A night out on the town or a day trip to the beach turns into really bad experience because you ended up arrested for DWI. Now is not the time to beat yourself up and think about what went wrong. You need help, you have questions, and you are stressed out. What you do not need to do is hire a gunslinger from out of town to ride in with a bravado attitude.
It is a fact that over 95% of all DWI matters are resolved through plea negotiation. Yes, the Police make mistakes, and sometimes the District Attorney and the Judge get the law wrong. But, exploiting these errors and pointing out a weakness in the Prosecutor’s case requires a certain amount of finesse. A plea negotiation requires the District Attorney offer you either a reduced charge or reduced sentence in exchange for your guilty plea and pleas are subject to the Judge’s final approval.
A local DWI Lawyer has the knowledge and familiarity with the players and can get you the best possible outcome without wading through unfamiliar waters. Here is a quick checklist that I suggest you use when picking a DWI lawyer.
- Most lawyers offer free consultations, take advantage of this and make a list of questions to bring with you when you schedule the appointment.
- Be comfortable with the attorney, you should be confident that s/he is going to be a strong advocate for you.
- There are no guarantees, I’m leery of anyone who promises a particular outcome, this is a people business not a construction site.
- Ask about the worst possible outcome, the sentence, fines, license revocation and discuss what can be done.
- Finally, talk about costs, the lawyer’s hourly rate, and especially the expected cost if a trial is necessary.
If you’re charged with a DWI, DWAI, DWAI-Drugs you need to hire competent legal representation to protect your rights and discuss your options. Call my office to schedule a free no obligation confidential consultation.